Featured Post

Requiem for the Belle Epoque

So who is this guy who posts an entire blog about women wearing long leather coats? Find out in the following memoir... I contently g...

Thursday, March 31, 2016

"Everybody from The Matrix called. They want their coat back."


Greetings to any who find this blog and remember it from years ago.  I took it down as the long leather coat shriveled up and went almost completely extinct in the fall of 2012.  Long black leather coats were at their peak design and popularity in 2003 when Debra Messing entered a scene of Will and Grace wearing a long, shiny black leather coat and was teased by Eric McCormack with the line, "Terrific.  Everybody from The Matrix called.  They want their coat back."

Such wittiness was prophetic.

Leather maxi coats, thigh-length jackets, skirts, blazers, and pants had remained popular in women's fashion since the early 1990s.  I was a young man in my twenties and early thirties at the time and no other form of clothing flattered an attractive woman more in my opinion than a long, black leather coat.  I met my future wife in 2004 and she rocked the sophisticated leather fashionista look for a solid five years.

But, the tide of leather apparel was already ebbing.  Internet postings such as this http://www.amc.com/talk/2008/03/the-matrix were already appearing.  The long leather coat had become associated with pop culture characters in films like The Matrix and the goth crowd.  Nobody was going to mistake an elegant woman like my wife for a punk rocker with her satin blouse and pearls, but she became less inclined to wear leather clothing much to my disappointment.  Fashion guides advised against wearing too much leather and cautioned women on how to wear leather coats that were too long http://hubpages.com/style/leather-trench-coat

My disappointment that leather was vanishing from women's wardrobes was compounded by the dormant silence of the Leather Coat Daydreams blog that I struggled to keep active.  There were fewer and fewer things to post as leather disappeared from store shelves.  Dedicated vendors of leather fashion such as Danier and Wilson's no longer offered leather clothing, but turned to other materials to keep from going out of business.  After four years of increasing frustration that my blog generated little to no activity I shut it down.  Other Internet sites showcasing leather have since gone obsolete as well.

In the three years since my interest in leather fashion has certainly not dimmed, nor do I expect that it ever will.  My wife indulges me, mostly on holidays and special occasions, by wearing one of her black leather coats and she looks just as fabulous in it as ever.  I have considered recreating this blog again for a while out of nostalgia for a fashion trend that I fondly remember and sorely miss.  I feel motivated to represent this version of feminine beauty that seems to be vanishing into the past and this blog will be a quiet little homage to a way women used to dress that drove some of us guys wild.

The writings and stories I post here will generally be my own work.  Most of the pictures will be scanned images or compiled from various sources.  Should anyone disapprove a photograph posted here simply let me know and I will respectfully remove it.  If you enjoy the postings on this page please leave a comment or like the post.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you will ever even see this but I feel like screaming this: DO. NOT. EVER. EVER. E V E R !!! take this blog down again. I need this blog. To remind me of all the beautiful things I dreamt of and all the things I am looking for. Nostalgia is a bittersweet feeling that I will gladly indulge in. I need this blog for all the beauty to look at. So please, don't take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I saw your message, Keymaster. I have no intention of taking this blog down again. I just quietly continue to post here.

    ReplyDelete